Sunday, July 19, 2009

Indominitable Dusty Miller

Who knew Dusty Miller could be such a knock-out plant? It over-winters here in Wilmington, at least in my garden. And it flowers! Tight, round yellow flower heads that last a long time--months!

I planted three Dusty Millers behind some red carnations and WOW! What a combination! Red and silver. Very nice. I planted some around a clematis because I know the latter likes cool roots and WOW! DM took over. The clematis managed to climb out and blossom, but it's overwhelmed and I'll need to dig up and transplant the DM to another location, leaving maybe two to block the hot, hot, hot afternoon sun.

Up north, Dusty Miller was so-so in my garden, nothing spectaculer, and I bought some plants here in Wilmington on a whim, because I like the soft, gray, lacy foliage.

Hey! I think it's a staple, providing nice contrast to more vibrant colors. And it's certainly hardy, drought tolerant and willing to dress a garden.

Get some!

No comments: