Saturday, September 25, 2010

Most beauteous beauty berry

When I purchased my American beauty berry four springs ago at the Wilmington Farmers' Market, it was misshapen but healthy. The first year it remained gangly but in succeeding years grew into a vibrant bush heavy with clustered, grape-hued berries. Easily the favorite shrub in my backyard garden.

A little research shows the beauty berry is not just another pretty face. Its berries are relished by a variety of wildlife, birds and deer among them. I don't have a deer problem, but if you do, you might plant a few beauty berries on the perimeter of your property to keep them snacking away from your more delicate plants.

Don't worry about hauling water out there to keep the berries beautiful. According to Dr. Mike Dirr, professor of horticulture at the University of Georgia, "This shrub thrives with neglect." Can it get any better?

Besides being a natural insect repellent and a survival food for birds such as robins, catbirds, cardinals, mockingbirds, brown thrashers, finches and towhees, the plant's berries can be made into jelly and wine. Again, does this plant have a single fault?

Well, sometimes shoots volunteer around the plant, but I haven't found this to be a problem. My American beauty berry is not a pest! She is most welcome in my garden--a beauteous sight outside my kitchen window.

No comments: