Sunday, October 17, 2010

Plants, trees need mulch this winter

I heard from a landscaper that plants will need a thick layer of mulch this winter. Our super hot, super dry summer caused the thin feeder roots to rise close to the surface searching for water and are therefore vulnerable to cold temps this winter.

I immediately went out a bought eight bags of cypress blend mulch and bedded down my river birch (planted this spring) and Japanese maple (planted last spring). Both are still vulnerable to cold and frost. I also mulched the two small dogwoods planted last May, the bridal wreath spirea and the native azalea, which is doing poorly.

My daylilies look well-nestled in the mulch, so I didn't add to it.

Ooops, just remembered. Forgot the weeping cherry! Will give it a good blanket of mulch today.

No comments: