Monday, April 11, 2011

Peach buds by the dozen

My Bonfire Patio Peach is advertised as ornamental but the branches are lined with dozens of baby peaches. Last year, the first year in my garden, it had a few peaches and I tasted one, finding it edible.

I guess I'm supposed to cull most of those peach buds off to encourage larger fruit. I remember a plum tree in the backyard of a house we rented in western New York many years ago that blessed us with thousands of plums--each the size of a grape. I was less than an amateur fruit grower at the time. In fact, I was merely a renter with a plum tree in my backyard.

This little Bonfire, though, is quite lively and getting me excited about the warm, sweet, fragrant taste of sun-kissed peach on my tongue. Yes, I'm looking for a few good-sized fruit. Just a few will do from my little patio peach.

No comments: