Sunday, January 17, 2010

First day in the garden

After a heavy night rain, the sun came out shining. With temps in the high '60s, how could I not go out into my garden?

Basically, it was clean-up time but I did revel at the sight of buds on hydrangeas and azaleas. The camellias, I'm afraid, have been stunted by below freezing night temperatures and daytime lows in the 30s. Just not good blooming weather. Only a few flowers are open and the buds, though numerous, are brown. We'll see what happens.

I'm expecting action soon from the Lenten Rose and am on the lookout for daffodil shoots. Remembered to fertilize the azaleas around the pine tree.

Also getting excited about the worm box I'll have this year. I've heard they're very successful and easy to establish. Fruit and veggie scraps go it and natural compost comes out. Go worms!

Georgia

No comments: