Sunday, January 24, 2010

Second day in the garden--daffodils!

Here it is the last week in January and I'm lucky enough to be living in a region where daffodils are poking through the ground. Nowhere else have I lived where I was this lucky.

Yes, some daffys are just poking, while others are three inches tall. I'm pleasantly surprised to see the hydrangeas with leaf buds ready to pop. This will be the first season for Lemon Daddy. I can't wait for its chartreuse leaves to shine like lamplight under the pine tree.

Camellias are still slow, although a few flowers are smiling at me through the family room window. The Bradford Pear, completely denuded of fruit by hungry birds, has leaf buds looking soft and hopeful.

I expect strong color--crayon red--from the azaleas under the pine after the good fertilizer drink I gave them last Sunday.

Some unpleasant sights: two yucca plants that refuse to leave my yard peacefully. We dug them out in '08 but they continue to send their sturdy spikes skyward. Can anyone share a foolproof method for extinquishing them?

We also decided the pampas grass has to go. The plants are immense and not flowering well. Just too big, I think. I envision a lovely flowering tree--cherry or crab apple--in place of those outside the kitchen window. Can anyone share a foolproof method of extinguishing pampas grass? I love the flowers but these have outlived their charm.
Georgia

No comments: